08 May 2008

Baby Names

Yes, yes, yes, I know the kid is not due until November and that is bloody ages away! Whose idea was it anyway that this pregnancy thing had to last approximately 9 months? Perhaps this is proof that God is a man after all or then again perhaps God is a woman and has consciously kept man away from experiencing the pleasure and pain of child birth...It might have helped though if God had granted me some videography skills so I could better capture the process on film!

I am already planning the kids 18th birthday party and the embarrassment of watching the "day you were born" video!

But I digress! This post is about baby names! Let's face it the kid has to have a name, right? So, my philosophy is that it is better to sort this stuff out in advance so that you're not making rash decisions in the heat of the happiness moment while the missus' legs are spread-eagled and up in the air and in all her glory! To simplify things I reckon "the kid" is a good choice as it is gender neutral and reflects the fact that they will always be the kid no matter how old they get...the missus is not convinced on this one!

My other choice is the gender neutral Dylan. However, the reality is that we both want to capture the essence of the kid having two cultures and a wide array of influences ranging from Australian, Balinese, Indonesian, Welsh, and each of our personal interests and likes, and we want to do this in the kid's name. Yet, we are also conscious of not wanting the kid to have a name as long as the Nile.

I would like to factor in my old fella's Welsh heritage and have at least one Welsh name in the fold somewhere. I am not really into RAB Jr. if it is a son. Yet, I could be tempted with names like Harald, Tristan, or Drew. Besides if it is a daughter I kind of like the names Meaghan, Elizabeth, and Tuyet (Vietnamese for snow), Eloise...

When it is all said and done...I am not hoping for a son or a daughter (although fraternal twins would have been nice), I am just hoping that all goes well and smoothly and that the next however many weeks that remain, fly past :)

Bring it on!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHAT THE HELL??!?!? How did I miss this excellent news??!?! Congratulations to you and Mrs B! I am SO excited for you!!! cls

Anonymous said...

I kinda like Grace or Georgina as a name, if its a girl. Pretty much elegant and cute at the same time.
Alexandra or Alexander (Alessandra would sound Italian, but why not?, or ..
Alan or Alanis, Alana or Jasmine sounds a bit Indonesian too.

I can't think of anything Balinese, though.

Just a thought to enrich your options.

Unknown said...

Hey Rob

What about "Bawi" gender neutral from the origins of "B" Balinese "A" Australian "W" Welsh and "I" Indonesian.

Still much better than "apple" or "tiger lily"

Just a thought

Cheers
GJ

Jakartass said...

Why not wait until inspiration strikes?

Son no.1 wasn't named until long after he was born because we were busy counting his fingers and toes - they're all there - and Our Kid's middle name is Chandra, after the hotel where the waters burst.

Rob Baiton said...

cls...

I thought I sent you an email with this news (I guess it is still floating around out there in cyber space or has been sucked into one of those big internet black holes)!

Silverlines...

Maybe the Missus and I can decide at a later stage and perhaps while I am drinking a good red wine to channel some inspiration.

GJ...

Nice thought! Maybe rearrange the letters to make WABI :)

Jakartass...

Inspiration, now there's a thought :) I was just trying to get the inspiration in early before having to count fingers and toes...

Anonymous said...

Indeed. November gives you ample time to open the millions of options on the net and books.

Channeling inspiration through the red wine might be one of the best solution, too.
In vino veritas.

Rob Baiton said...

As an update the Missus has stated in the most unequivocal of ways that the name "Matilda" would make an excellent name for a daughter!

Unknown said...

Hi Rob,

We already know of a Matilda here in Jakarta, yes Australian Dad and Indonesian Mum. Not so original, she could grow up to be a dancer,think about that. :-)

yeah like I'm the ONLY GJ on earth!!

Anonymous said...

Rob, my proposal:

name the baby, Kute, Bali or Sanur!

gender free name and beautiful!

LavanyaLea said...

hey rob... congrats on the news!!!

in my neonates ward there is a baby born in the toilet and aptly named Latia, lol!!! she survives the horrific labour thanks to the paramedics and all that ward staff, but i wonder how she'll survive childhood...

anw, a few "how not to do it"...

in Indonesia you'll find a LOT of weird names, my dad's a doctor and i love checking out the medical register whilst waiting for him to finish work after school... from a guy named Genius (i can say he didn't live up much to his parents expectation), P.D.I.P (sth like petrus daniel ignatius blah blah), Santo Petrus.... and the Indonesian Idol auditions have some funny names too... a girl named Twenty, a Pangeran Biru... LOL.

over here in Liverpool my registrar told me she once saw a baby called Blue Bubbles (????)

kittygoespotty said...

This won't really have success, I believe this way.