10 September 2008

People With Kids

I notice people with kids much more frequently now. I do not know whether there is a causal link that can be traced to my own pending fatherhood or not, but I am assuming that there must be. I particularly notice parents of kids whose kid is in the midst of a temper tantrum, crying uncontrollably, or other such incidents of typical kid-like behaviours.

I am generally trying to work out how I am going to respond. I guess this is because I am certain that when the Kid is being well-behaved he will be Mommy's boy and when he is acting up he will be Daddy' boy and I will be the one responsible for disciplining the little fella.

I have had plenty of practice with the nieces and nephews and with other people's kids. So, I am quietly confident that I am going to be able to handle the changed sleep patterns and the general lack of sleep. As Big John McCarthy of UFC fame was known to say, "let's get it on!"

6 comments:

tere616.blogspot.com said...

:-D ... can't stand to embrace the lil one to the world ..

And typical fatherhood to be, and "ego" that he will follow his Dad acting.

Wish to read about your child .. hm in 10 years from now :-)

Anonymous said...

You're the bad cop, and she's the good one? ;)

Elyani said...

I don't have kids of my own but I have the pleasure of pampering my 2 nieces and 1 lil nephew. I think there are differences in how we handle boys and girls. I always have things on my purse when I go out with my nephew. Marbles, plain paper and pencil or crayons, my pocket camera (for a 3 y/o he is quite confident using my gadget), anything that can keep him occupied when he gets bored on the road. The girls are easier to handle because they are older.

Katadia said...

Me: "OK, that's enough. I think you have to go to your corner now!"

2 y.o: "I...am sad... when you punish me mummy... hiks..hiks"

Me: "No, don't say punish. I get embarrass when you say that out loud in front of other people, especially in the supermarket. How about we say time out instead?"

2 y.o: "No, I don't like time out. You go time out mummy. Now... in the corner.. now..NOW.. NOW...."

---
And for the sleepless night thing, NOTHING will prepare you for the kind of sleep deprivation a kid would bring. But you'll get used to it. :)

Rob Baiton said...

Tere...

Typical, maybe. No ego. I am hoping the Kid will develop into his own man over time.

Therry...

Sounds like it to me :D

Elyani...

Good advice! I am not much of a purse or bag carrier, so I will pass the advice onto the purse carrier in my family :D

KD...

Looking forward to it!

site said...

Thanks for your article, quite useful piece of writing.