07 September 2008

Pending Fatherhood

This is a personal musing on pending fatherhood.

I have noticed on the telly that Snoop Dogg has a reality show on Global TV (MTV) about fatherhood. It is essentially him doing stuff with his kids. But, the inspiration for the post comes from a conversation I was having with a good friend and a single question that he asked, "are you excited?"

The simple answer is, "Yes!" The complex and long winded answer would include the reasons why. I am looking forward to being responsible for how the little fella turns out as a person. The challenge is both daunting but undoubtedly full of plenty of good times. I look back fondly on my own childhood. If I can be half the parent that my parents were to me then the kid is going to do well in his life.

The pregnancy journey has obviously been more of a burden for the better half than me. Burden in the sense of carrying the kid. For men it is sort of like you do your thing and then you have nine months off from the hard yakka. The biggest demand is satisfying the crazy cravings that the mother has. I am expecting my work load to pick up a little after the little fella pokes his head out into this brave new world.

The fun stuff is the looking at the USG and being able to see the miracle of life in action. Watching your very own flesh and blood grow before your eyes. The Kid is going to be an active bugger if his performances to date are any indication. The way he is banging about with his hands, elbows, arms, feet, knees, and legs, suggests to me that there is a budding UFC star on the way. The next Randy Couture.

The next big thing is to make some recording of the Kid in 3D and 4D. The miracles of modern technology. My parents were going to come over sometime next week and we were going to take them for a look see at the USG. Then yesterday my old lady decided that double bypass heart surgery was more important. In short no air travel for her for a while. Thankfully, the surgery went well and perhaps the folks will be able to fly over later in the year. Hence the idea of getting the recordings in 3D and 4D.

The excitement is also that I am looking forward to playing cricket with the kid as he grows up. Hopefully, at 50 or so I will still be able to waddle around and role the arm over in 4th or 5th grade competitive cricket. I am not so much looking forward to having to get back to primary school maths and science to help with homework...but it should make me good for a shot at the million dollar question on "Are You Smarter than a 5-year-old?"

So, yeah, I am excited at the prospect of being a father. Probably no more so than my better half is looking forward to being a mother. We already have a running bet on what the kid's first word is going to be.

9 comments:

tere616.blogspot.com said...

Aha, so a "proud-father-to-be" is now have a looot of wishes and worries.

Advice from a friend, just enjoy every minute with the lil one. He will grow so quickly than you can ever imagine.

There's a time that lil one don't need us anymore, which we never know when the time will come.

Waiting for the good news Rob.
When is the lil one prediction to come ?

Hm .. I suddenly can feel the softness of the lil one skin and baby lovely smell :-)

Rob Baiton said...

end of November...

Anonymous said...

The first words of my children were the same, according to my wife - 'jatuh'. Although with the second child my view is that she said 'daddy' before 'jatuh'. But anyway they sure like/liked saying jatuh, pronounced sort of like datoo. Weird.

Rob Baiton said...

Patung...

I will post the results some time in the future.

Unknown said...

you know, i've always this theory that the kids never really say anything. they make noises. Parents hear things :D


coming from one without one, of course.

Rob, do more of these...

Rob Baiton said...

on fatherhood or on personal experience stuff?

Anonymous said...

End of november? finally.. been waiting for this show to start back up

Rob Baiton said...

Phil...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

My show starts towards the end of November with the birth of my own kid. It won't be on TV though :D

As for when Snoop Dogg starts up again, I do not know. The show is still running here in Indonesia.

tabletpc-shop said...

Thanks so much for this post, really helpful material.