21 June 2008

Football Salaries

The news world is reporting that Christian Ronaldo may be on the move from Manchester United to Real Madrid. The fact that Ronaldo wants a move is not new news but the fact that Real are prepared to pay him the equivalent of about AUD 380,000 per week. Yes, that is an after tax annual salary of some AUD 19.8 million.

I get great enjoyment out of watching football (or when I was growing up soccer) but I wonder whether footballers are really worth that much money. I understand that they bring business to the clubs they play for in terms of sponsorship and apparel and all the other marketing associated things but is one player worth that much to a club?

He might be the best player in football at the moment so I guess you may as well capitalize while you can.

No comments: