30 November 2010

UNC Men's Basketball: Will They or Won't They?


As an alumni of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill I am a big fan of UNC Basketball. I have been following it for more than 20 years (which is as long as my association with UNC). So, it was with great disappointment that we did not make the big dance of the NCAA tournament last year. However, there were high hopes for this year with a pretty decent recruiting class. Sadly, five games into the season we are at 3-2. It is not the end of the world, but it would have been nice to be 5-0.

Here's hoping that an ACC and then an NCAA title are in the 2010 / 2011 highlight reels come April 2011. I get to watch the NCAA Tourney because it is on the idiot box here in Australia. I used to watch it while I was in Indonesia as well on cable TV. A die-hard Carolina basketball fan!

Go Heels!

Just writing this brief post has put a smile on my dial. I have so many fond memories of my time at UNC. Just thinking of the many friends that I made inside and outside of class reminds me of some interesting stories of late nights watching basketball down at "He's Not Here" or over at "Ham's" (which I don't think exists anymore), or this wonderful little hole in the ground bar called "Trolls" which has been reincarnated with different names over the past 20 years or so I am told. Those were the days!

Life goes on, but it never hurts to take time out and remember.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

madsethey will not do as well this year as last unless roy makes barnes attack the basket instead of tryin to show NBA scouts that he can sometimes hit an out side shot.2-start marshall and use drew sparingly3-get someone to show henson how to shoot a foul shot. ther is absolutely NO EXCUSE for a player of his height and wingspan to not even be able to hit the rim. 37% free throw shooter? i don't think i have ever in my 53 years as a bleed UNC BLUE fan and college basketball fan heard of any player shooting below 50% [unless it was a walk-on that had very rare opportunity to shoot FT's, say 10 shots in a carreer and missed all but a couple. roy said he was going to sit out players that didn't play as hard as they can. but he won't for some reason. he should start all walk-ons except for zeller against kentucky,[maybe 5 walk-ons] for at least the first 3-5 minutes to show that he means business.

Rob Baiton said...

@ Anonymous...

Or sitting players down after they get two quick fouls in the first half?

Basketball is a team sport so it will always be a case of a champion team beating a team of champions. Even LeBron James has realised that :)

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

www.mueblesennavarra.com said...

Thank you for this post, really worthwhile data.