17 September 2009

Noordin M Top -- Dead


Noordin M. Top is dead. His death has been confirmed by Indonesia's National Police Chief, Bambang Hendarso Danuri, today.

Top was killed in a raid on a suspected terrorist hideout in Solo, Central Java. This brings to an end the seven or so years that Top has spent on the run terrorizing and killing innocent Indonesians and foreigners. The identification has been based on fingerprints on file with Malaysian police authorities.

Top was the leader of a small splinter group, Tandzim al-Qaeda, which separated from Jemaah Islamiyah (Jemaah Islamiyya). Apparently, Jemaah Islamiyah had become too soft for Top's liking as JI was moving away from violent jihad. Although, if one listened to the rhetoric and oration of JI's alleged spiritual leader, Abu Bakar Ba'asyir, you might wonder if this were true.

It might have been better if Top had been capture alive because he would potential be a well of information that if properly handled might have assisted in averting future terrorist attacks in the months and years ahead. But, by all accounts Top was never likely to be captured without a fight, and it seems he has gone out with a bang, so to speak.

All previous posts on Top can be found here.

I guess now he gets to find out if he gets the promised reward of 72 virgins.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Really?

Somehow I don't trust the Indonesian police after "working there" for a year as wartawan Mabes Polri.

72 virgins? The Koran never really specify what kind of virgins they are, right?

Rob Baiton said...

EK...

If it is true that the fingerprints have been matched then this time it might be for real.

No, it doesn't. And, as I recall, I think there once was some debate as to whether it even mentions the number 72 or being rewarded virgins at all. But it is a vague memory.

Unknown said...

Rob,
Virgin in the Qur'an?
You are kidding man!
I know that you never liked Islam and Indonesia, but never thought that much.

Rob Baiton said...

Harry...

I am guessing your comment is tongue in cheek. Because if it is not, you really need to pull your head in and get a grip.

This has nothing to do with liking Islam and has absolutely nothing to do with liking Indonesia.

But, it is unfortunate that you seem not to be able to see that. Maybe, you should do a little internet search about the 72 virgins thing and see what you come up with.

As to not liking Indonesia. I am married to an Indonesian and my son is half Indonesian. So, as I said, maybe you need to pull your head in because you do not know me from Adam, Jesus, or Mohammad.

I do not recall judging you, but if your keen for me to return the favour let me know.

Rob Baiton said...

Harry...

Mate, gotta say that I am a little disappointed. Hence the tone of my previous comment.

It really bothers me when people try and call me out on whether I am pro or anti with respect to Indonesia. It bothers me less with respect to whether people think I am pro or anti on the Islam front.

I am hoping your comment was tongue in cheek. If it wasn't then I am disappointed.

yanmaneee said...

supreme
golden goose
golden goose
kyrie 7
golden goose sneakers
lebron 18
jordan shoes
nike sb dunks
golden goose sneakers
jordan shoes