14 July 2010

Chicken or the Egg?

Bugger!

Scientists in the United Kingdom believe that they have solved the age-old conundrum of whether the chicken or the egg came first. The British scientists have categorically stated that the chicken came first. Here is their science.

The lab-coated researchers have identified a protein called ovocleidin or OC-17. This protein is the key ingredient in the formation of eggshells. The catch, it is only produced in the ovaries of the pregnant hen. Based on this irrefutable science, the scientists have solved the puzzle.

It is the chicken!

I guess this means that we now need to look for another saying to express the idea of not knowing which one came first (and the fact that in the big scheme of things none of us truly care as they are both there now).

All the same, bugger!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always believed that it was the chicken that came first! Hurrah!

Rob Baiton said...

@ This Indonesian...

Really?

I never really cared one way or the other.

Besides, God could have created them at the same time. Let's face it, God created the Big Bang that got things rolling in the first place. So, I figure that God could probably handle the chicken and the egg at the same time.

It was a "bugger" moment for me because I use the saying all the time. Now, I will not be able to say it without laughing and then answering my own question with, "well, scientists in the UK blah blah blah..."

Bugger!

Anonymous said...

Well, since we're talking about God here XD

I think it says in the bible that God creates this and that not from the seeds or from the eggs, but the actual animals directly. He even created Adam and Eve as adults, not as babies, so logically chicken came first :D

Unknown said...

Hi Rob,
I think that with or without the scientific research it is very clear that the chicken should come out first. An egg exist because the hen lay it right?

Rob Baiton said...

@ This Indonesia...

As I said, "bugger"!

@ Harry...

But, but, but, but where does the chicken come from?

Anonymous said...

The egg came first !! Cause it just got LAID !!! (double entendre )

rani said...

I stumbled upon this article a few weeks back. According to wikipedia, whatever laid the egg was not a chicken. (proto-chicken?) :P

Rob Baiton said...

@ Anonymous...

Very clever!

@ Rani...

Proto-chickens?

Thanks for the link. I enjoyed reading it. A little too deep for me though, as it seemed like it was more serious than it was tongue in cheek. :D