16 August 2009

Self-Portrait...


I was going through some old photos as I was looking for a photo of George Mason and the quote of the previous post, and I came across this one.

I am an amateur photographer, and I use the term amateur loosely, and I have a little point and shoot Casio Ex-P700 camera.

I have always found the Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC to be one of the most powerful, thought-provoking, and inspiring memorials I have visited, even as an Australian. I know that others have widely divergent opinions of the memorial to mine. I think that the power comes from the ability to see ourselves reflected back at us, and for me this gives me pause for a little introspection on a great many things. This happens for me at a great many war memorials, including Australian, wondering what drove these brave young men and women to sacrifice so much.

I am forever grateful for the freedoms that they secured for me so many years ago, and also to the young men and women of today who continue to sacrifice so much in the defense and maintenance of those things that I, we, hold dear.

With a bit of luck, the family and I will be heading to Gallipoli in 2015 for the 100th anniversary of the ANZAC landing.

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Interesting observation about your reflection. I heartily agree with you that I'm forever grateful for those men and women in the armed services who have sacrificed so much.

Rob Baiton said...

Tracy...

I do not recall you having stopped by before. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. Comments are always appreciated.

Interesting blog you have over there at Abundant Living, and I can see that you love comments as well ;)

I have always believed that it is important for us to look at ourselves and take stock. Otherwise, we will ultimately get lost on our journey because we have not taken the time to reflect and enjoy it.

Yep, I am fervently anti-war. But, one should never forget the sacrifices of those that defend the warm blanket of freedom and democracy that we sleep in each and every night.

Once again, thanks for dropping by.