25 April 2009

Same Same but Different...

Yesterday, the family took a trip across to Maroubra as this is where the Consulate General of the Republic of Indonesia is. The reason for the trip was that Dyah wanted to register, and if I am not mistaken registering your existence with the Consulate is supposedly compulsory.

I have not been in or to Maroubra for at least eight years and probably should have consulted the map, Internet or other, to make sure that I was going to be heading in the right direction. However, the man in me got the better of me and I wanted to see whether I could get there on memory. I did not discuss this manly plan with the Missus and Will was in for the ride no matter what.

As it turned out everything was still the same in terms of getting there. The scenery was a little different by the route was the same. Although, it must be said that a lot of the roads are now 50km/h zones as opposed to the 60km/h I remember. All-in-all it took about 40 minutes to get there from home.

The Consulate itself I know pretty well from the outside have stood there many times protesting all manner of things from Sabang to Merauke and all points in between. I had never been inside. That said I was not expecting much considering the drab and dreary out shell of the building. I am not going to report that I was pleasantly surprised, as it was nothing to write home about. Next time I will take the camera and take some pictures.

You always have this idea that once you get the opportunity to visit an Indonesian mission overseas that they will be places of great order and tranquility where they are staffed with individuals seeking to serve the needs of Indonesians abroad. It hardly ever turns out this way.

It must have been Friday-itis as the Consulate seemed to be severely understaffed considering the number of "clients" or more aptly citizens endeavouring to obtain one of the various services available. It is also interesting to see expat Indonesians themselves in operation.

One of the many things that I noticed in my many years was the inability of many Indonesians to understand the idea of a queue and waiting one's turn. So, I was not surprised to see this inability in operation here as well. I guess you can take the person out of Indonesia but cannot take Indonesia out of the person ;) (no offence intended)

Finally, Dyah got to the window to register and was thrust a form and told to fill it in. Once the form was completed it just needed to be left on the counter and someone from behind the window would presumably come out and collect it. Dyah handed over her passport and it was officially stamped as having registered and told to come back in six months when she had a permanent address. Any protestations that a permanent address already existed seemed futile and remained silent.

I guess Dyah will be heading back in six months to hand over the information that she could have done on the spot.

Such is bureaucracy. And hence the decision to come back some other time to ask questions about getting Will an Indonesian passport.

With the form filled in we headed out into the bright sunshine of the world outside.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Agree with the same same but different :) The last time I went to KBRI to change the address in my passport I was told to get back the next day to collect my passport because the person who was supposed to sign under it was in a meeting.

"Bapaknya lagi rapat, besok saja kembali". Nostalgia?

Rob Baiton said...

The Writer...

I thought it might bring back some memories for you as I remember you writing something on your KBRI experiences in the past.

lawby lagi said...

again, excuse my ignorance.... but can Will also get an Australian passport??

Rob Baiton said...

Lawby...

Will only has one passport and it is Australian.

lawby said...

Thanks. He has his own little picture book. Nice.

Rob Baiton said...

Lawby...

Picture book?

lawbee said...

passport.... with his pikky in it?? or does he have to share yours? people like me are not aware of what happens (on the ground) when babies are born in INdonesia to parents of different nationalities...