14 April 2009

Home Is Where The Heart Is...

They say that home is where the heart is. My home for many years has been Indonesia and I must say that I have enjoyed each and every minute. That said, it is also true that my heart is no longer in it for the long haul. In many ways it is hard to explain and any explanation would not do the complexity of the emotions justice.

This needs to be read in the context of being born and raised in Australia. Australia will always be home. I am sure that there would be the odd person jumping up and down questioning my Australian-ness or right to call Australia home. Therefore, it is in this context that I had made a life in Indonesia that until recently I had really been enjoying.

It is said that a change is as good as a holiday. So, it is a change that I am making. The Wife and Kid are along for the ride. I am not sure that there was much choice on that front.

I am looking forward to going "home" to Australia and wiping the slate clean and starting out afresh. Perhaps these changes will see me moving in a completely different direction that is not related to the practice of the law or writing about it in any other way than as random unanalytical blog entries.

Life is like a box of chocolates, just as Forrest Gump so eloquently said in the film, if you just dive in and go for it you are never quite sure what you are going to get. This has been my Indonesian experience. This chapter of my life will close tomorrow night around 9pm local Western Indonesian Time. But, I will have a lifetime of memories to cherish through the remaining chapters of my unfinished life.

To all those family and friends that I / we are leaving behind, you will not be forgotten.

Good luck and may all your own dreams and hopes come to fruition.

See ya later alligators...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodluck in the new (or should I say "old"?) place :)

Anonymous said...

I believe that home is where your friends are - a quotation from cheeky note by Jeremy Clarkson - as it happens to me recently. One by one, my friends leaving Jakarta and now when I'm back to my 'home' for almost a decade, it doesn't feel the same.

Anyway, I think it will be interesting to read your thoughts and reactions of repatriating, I am sure many shocking moments are in the line.

For example, the huge portion of meal they normally serve you. And the wonderful fish & chips.

And of course, you start saying chips again rather than french fries like in Indonesia ;)

pj said...

One of the things I remember from the first time I repatriated was cruising down the road on a sunday and wondering why there were no people on the street. Enjoy the reverse culture culture shock Rob.

Rob Baiton said...

Writer...

Yep, the old place! Thanks.

FW...

Perhaps. New places, new friends (or old places and old friends).

I am not expecting Australia to be the same. I am not the same person that left and nothing ever stands still (at least not for long anyway).

Fish and Chips will be nice. Although, I gotta say I am looking forward to some good potato scallops and a chiko roll :D

PJ...

Funny you should mention reverse culture shock. I am fully expecting to "suffer" it. I had to check myself plenty of times when I was in the US recently. I have become so accustomed to operating in a particular way that it is automatic (I think and count automatically in Indonesian - I sometimes finding myself translating my Indonesian thoughts into English).

I am looking forward to the Sunday mornings relaxing with the paper and some hot bread from the local bakery :D

jesseb's anything goes said...

I understand were your coming from, good luck on your return home.

oigal said...

good luck sport ...

law-bee said...

bye for NOW...

Rob Baiton said...

Jesseb...

I am sure that there are plenty of people who do.

Oigal...

Thanks mate.

Law Bee...

OK.

Unknown said...

All the best from us. Let us know where you make the new nest, may be able to catch up at some stage.

Do they still make Chiko rolls??

And enjoy some backyard cricket with young Will too.

cheers
GJ

tere616.blogspot.com said...

Take care and Good Luck Rob :-)

I believe that even though you have left Indonesia and back to the country where you were born, you still have "a home" here.

Wherever you go, we're still your blogging buddy.

Rob Baiton said...

GJ...

Have checked out the Chiko Roll situation yet.

Still a little young for backyard cricket, but soon.

Tere...

Yep, always easy enough to keep in touch and up to date with the blog.

Thanks.

Elyani said...

Hi Rob, it's been a while since I last visited your blog. I hope your missus and Will would adjusting in the the new place well. I have been in Canada (BC) for nearly 5 weeks too, together with my cat Suneo. Yes, I permanently move here to reunite with my hubby. I don't know if I can call the new place as home yet..as I still miss and dream about Indonesia most of the times. Perhaps I still left my heart in Jakarta? :)

Rob Baiton said...

Elyani...

Indeed it has! But now I have an explanation as to why the long wait for a new comment :D

The Missus and Will are doing fine and we are all seemingly settling in well.

It is a lot colder than we have been used to so this is taking a little time in terms of acclimatizing.

So, we should expect some postings on Canada.

Glad that you were able to get Suneo to the northern hemisphere.

Hope the reunification with the Hubby works out as planned.

Enjoy.