30 June 2009

Michael Jackson -- A Music and Cultural Icon

There is little doubt, at least in my mind, that Michael Jackson was a musical genius. His eccentricities must not detract from this genius. There might always be question marks about some of his personal decisions and the manner in which he lived his life, but talent is talent and that deserves to be recognized.

I attach a video of the Michael Jackson singing one of his signature songs, The Man in the Mirror. If there was any need to see why there has been such an outpouring of grief the world over, then this is it. Just sitting back and watching the behaviour and reactions of the fans that attended his concerts sometimes beggars belief.

I liked the music. It was something that I grew up with and something that will be part of me forever. I think we all have songs that we claim ownership over in the sense that this one particular song coincides with a defining or important moment in making us who we are or pushes us in a particular direction, something that touches our innermost soul and being.

The Man in the Mirror is a song that does this for me.

Enjoy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. This is also my favourite MJ song :)

Rob Baiton said...

EK...

You're welcome!

So, we have something in common after all :D