18 June 2008

Gay Marriage -- Who Cares?

Tuesday is the first full day in California were same sex couples can legally get married! It is 02.54 Wednesday now while I write this sitting here in Jakarta and by my reckoning that makes it Tuesday in California. I am sure there will be a bit of a rush today with couples looking to tie the knot and get on with business. The system in California expects a rush too. They have extended operation hours and put on additional staff to cope with the expected rush.

The change in the law has required some form changes as well. The traditional "bride" and "groom" spaces on a marriage license have been changed to "Party A" and "Party B".

One of the first couples to get a marriage license were George Takei and his longtime partner. This is the fella that played Sulu in the original Star Trek and more recently appeared in Heroes. Nah, this is indicative of how much attention I pay to who is gay and who is not, as I did not even know he was gay! I just do not care!

I do not believe that homosexuality and lesbianism are lifestyle choices. I do not believe that homosexuality and lesbianism is a disease that can be cured like genital warts. I believe that you are born homosexual or lesbian and that society encourages you to repress your true self in order to conform to an unrealistic and arbitrary norm.

My good blogging friend Rima has written an excellent little post on "why religion does not matter" and I encourage you to drop by and read it! The relevance to that post and this one is with regards to the "not caring". I really do not give the proverbial rat's arse in terms of people identifying whether they are gay or lesbianism. I am not judging them on any criteria that relates to the sexual preferences as I would expect them not to be judging me on my preference for heterosexuality. To each their own!

Yet, I must care because there are many who want to convince me that there is something inherently evil and bad in homosexuality and lesbianism. So evil that I must rail against it now or forever live in damnation! My response is always the same...if this is such a bad thing then let them get on with it and God can sort it out later.

I have never really understood why some people think that God has given them the authority to be God's arbiter and representative on earth. This bothers me because I am asked to tolerate the stupidity of the Westboro Baptist Church and their protests. They seem to think that God hates Australia but I wouldn't be surprised if in fact God had a few more issues with the Westboro Baptist Church than God has with Australia.

I have never met a gay or lesbian person who has interfered with or been a hassle to my daily life experience. Not one of my gay and lesbian friends has ever tried to "convert" me in order that I bat for the other side. Nope, the only zealots that I have encountered are those who try and convert me to some misguided religion that looks for me to allocate 10% of my salary to the building of a bigger church or mosque!

Back to California. It was nice to see that the first couple married were Del Martin aged 87 and Phyllis Lyon aged 83. This pair have been together for some 55 years! A commitment of 55 years to each other deserves to be recognized in marriage. I do not care who was Party A and who was Party B. I bet my last dollar that neither did they! The picture is of the happy couple and it is a sweet photograph of two people still in love after 55 years. They have been together longer than I have been alive!

I am pro-same sex marriage!

10 comments:

JennieSBev.com said...

Yeah, I'm waiting to get invited to my gay friends' weddings. :) Anytime son...

Rob Baiton said...

JSB...

Depending on how many gay and lesbian friends you have, then the next couple of months could be fairly busy!

I have been visiting your blog by the way and been wanting to comment but the feature is disabled!

You do not take comments?

No dramas if you don't...I am just wanting to make sure that it is not me pressing the wrong buttons :D

Anonymous said...

kalau saja itu terjadi di Indonesia, apa reaksi FPI yaa

Unknown said...

Does being Pro same sex marriage effectively double your chances in wedlock??????

just a thought..........

The Weary Traveller said...

Hmmmmmmm

I see no problems with gay relationships. I have never had one, although a gay friend almost convinced me to try sex.

The problem is the next step – the normal outcome of wedlock: children. I suspect that a lot of married gays will try to adopt children, waving a marriage certificate as they do so.

No problems with that either, better loving gay parents than a disinterested single mother.

However, I believe children need and deserve role models from both sexes. Not necessarily parents, adopted or otherwise. But boys need to see how a man behaves, no know how to be a man. And girls need to see how a woman behaves. I don’t think its all instinct.

rimafauzi said...

Rob, I will jiggle with you for this post! I love it! I have been pro same sex marriage for years! My beautiful, intelligent, kind-hearted and sweet brother - i love him so much - is gay. He was so since he was born. My dad, the devout muslim that he is, thinks it might be something he picked up from his surroundings, and is convinced brother can change if he prays and fasts etc - don't blame dad though, he does not know any better, it was what he was taught and what he believes. Brother was so ashamed of what he is that all his teen years his only wish was to move to another country, one that approves of his sexual preference. He now lives in Germany.

I love him for what he is, and I honestly feel gay or straight, nothing is better or more 'correct' than the other. This is one of the reasons why I do not care for (the three monotheist) religions, they even teach people to look down and treat gay people with no respect, while in reality, the gay people I know are some of the most caring, loving, intelligent, successful and loyal people!

Thanks for posting this, it just gives me a happy feeling! :)

Rob Baiton said...

Anggara...

Doesn't take a rocket scientist to know what the FPI reaction would be!

GJ...

Perhaps it does. I am happily married and not into bi-sexual polygamy :D However, picking up on Anggara's point. Imagine the implications in Indonesia - A man with up to four husbands :)

PB...

The role model issue is an interesting one and I guess it will develop more fully over time once the shrinks get into full swing.

Role models can come from anywhere in that sense and perhaps the children of same sex couples will find the necessary role models among the extended families of the "parents" or from among the "parents" friends...

Rima...

You're most welcome!

Anonymous said...

It's funny when I hear people say, "gay people can be cured."

How? I didn't even know they were sick in the first place. lol.

Their logic is: people become gay because they've been mingling with the wrong crowd and therefore get carried away. so a straight harmless guy could turn gay if he keeps hanging out with a bunch of gay people.

Ok. Let's see.... if gay people can be straight, then straight people can be gay, right?

So shall I start an affair with Rima then?

Hang on - I already have. Oops... lol

JennieSBev.com said...

Rab, I have a reason on why I close those comments feature. :) Not that serious, though, hahahah...

Email me any time via Contact Form or use FaceBook if you are a user too.

Have a great day and keep posting gazillion entries per day. I need to scroll and scroll and scroll but I like it.

JennieSBev.com said...

@Therry,
Why you always choose the sexiest girl of all? (Sad face, achoo!)