27 January 2009

What Do Your Musical Tastes Say About You?

I am a bit of a fan of You Tube and will remain so until someone posts an unflattering video of me and then I will hate the place. However, before then it is a great place for all manner of videos on all manner of subjects. I like to listen to music and watch music videos so You Tube is certainly a place that I visit regularly to indulge in both these passions.

I have just found myself surfing through music videos of Bob Marley. How did I end up searching for Bob Marley videos or more importantly why, is a question I have just started to think about and do not yet have an answer for. I cannot recall a specific thought that went off in the grey matter that said, Bob Marley. Maybe it was a fascination with a man who managed to have 13 children to 9 different women?

Or perhaps it is the idea that a man can be so committed to his Rastafari beliefs that he would refuse the amputation of a cancerous toe because his beliefs dictate that the body must be whole. And that this decision may have ultimately resulted in his early and untimely death that robbed the world of a true and legendary talent.

So, I pose this question. What do your musical tastes say about you?

By the way, my favourite Bob Marley tunes include "No Woman, No Cry", "Redemption Song", "Stir It Up", and "Exodus". Then again, I do not think there is a Bob Marley song that I do not or would not listen to.



Enjoy!

11 comments:

Rob Baiton said...

Mberenis...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

Anonymous said...

I love listening to Bob Marley - I have his MP3s on my car whenever I need good driving music to chill me out (from maniacal drivers roaming the streets of Jakarta).

Rob Baiton said...

Therry...

Which I am guessing is almost all of the time :D

Anonymous said...

Um... yeh. LOL.

Also love listening to trance every now and then, aside from Marley :)

Anonymous said...

He's a great musician and I love him too, but I'm a big fans of 70-80's Rock'n Roll and some of Progressive Rock :)

rani said...

my musical taste and recent adventure on youtube suggest that I'm one of those people who think that the '90s had produced the greatest arts: music, video, movie, television, you name it :D

Rob Baiton said...

Toni + Rani...

I posed the question because I find my tastes span more than the odd decade and span a wide range of genres.

I am not sure that it says all that much about me other than having a broad range of interests.

Then again...

Jakartass said...

Bob Marley? A bit 70's isn't he?

I think I finally turned off listening to any of his songs for at least five years because of my recent stay in West Sumatra. I waited nigh on 3 hours in Bedudal Cafe for my ride up to Lubuk Sikaping. The sound system played Marley's Hits - again and again.

My ride came and we drove north with but the one cassette - Bob Marley's Greatest Hits. When Exodus came on for the third time (and fifth overall that day!) I finally made a comment.

My driver told me that we'd nearly arrived. As he had no watch, he timed the journey by the number of tracks played.

Ho, and not much humming!

BTW. My musical tastes are encapsulated in my thread of Desert Island Discs.

Rob Baiton said...

J...

Certainly a little 70s. Gotta say last time I was in Bukittinggi I was not overwhelmed with the Bob Marley tunes.

I always read with interest your desert island disc postings...

belongimbal said...

bob marley.. my ultimate essay-writing tunes. i dont know about others but i listened to it during adrenaline-pumping-slash-anxious times and i get calmed down by it. i think it's because of the rather monotonous beat n rhythm

Rob Baiton said...

Belongimbal...

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment.

I used to chill to Bob Marley when writing essays. I now chill to Bob Marley when I write now. I guess some habits are hard to break.

I never thought about it being because of a monotonous beat though.